Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Short history

I feel like I should give a quick history here.  I was born and raised in Houston, TX.   Always interested in creating - from drawing to forming objects in clay to sewing new outfits.  I never knew you could be an artist or what that meant really until I went to college.  In college I decided to pursue a career in art.  Whatever that meant?  The big thing to do was go directly to graduate school.  I wasn't sure that was for me at the time and went home.  Meanwhile I lied to my parents the whole time I was in college telling them that I was studying to be a teacher.  They were not happy when I graduated and went on a 3 month trip to France to "study" drawing and painting with Ted Seth Jacobs at L’Ecole Albert Defois, Association D’Ateliers D’Art Internationaux. I returned to Houston at the end of the summer and stayed around for five more years working for artists and non-profit art spaces and all the while painting.  Developing my craft.  Finally, I decided to take the big leap and move to New York City.  Wow, that was a big change of pace!   I started graduate school in art at NYU and ended up staying in New York for seven years.  I put in my time at an art gallery and continued my painting practice.  I met the man who would become my husband and we decided we needed a change and moved to Tokyo.  He was transfered after two years to San Francisco.  We have been in San Francisco for six years.  In that time we got married, bought a house and had a beautiful daughter.  I have been working full time on my painting since Tokyo.  Well as full time as a mother of a four year old can work.

No comments:

Post a Comment